Maryland Farm & Harvest: Episode 201
Premiere air date: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 7pm on MPT-HD
- Five sisters from Harford County prove that there's plenty of space for beauty in the barn. The Grimmel Girls—who range in age from 33 to 7 years old—are experts at primping their show cattle – and it pays off when they take them to some of the biggest cattle shows in the country.
- A tractor that drives itself? A digital device that can see what's happening inside a growing plant? It's not the farm of the future—it's the farm of today in Maryland! 3rd Generation Farmers Hans and Alan Schmidt are always looking for ways to keep their grain farm on the cutting edge, but they were able to take some time out of their busy planting season to introduce Joanne to some of the best new technology.
- It takes a lot of energy to raise chickens—so that's why Eastern Shore farmer Daniel Ferrell is harnessing the ulitmate life-giving energy force: the sun. He's going green and saving thousands of dollars a month on his electricity bill. Paradise Solar Energy
- The Local Buy: Al Spoler gets a chance to satisfy his sweet tooth in Western Maryland while learning about how to make Maple Syrup. http://www.garrettfarms.org/steyer-brothers-maple-syrup.html
- Then & Now: Bringing electricity to rural areas not only helped power farms—it empowered farmers.