Tea News Bits
TV Worth Watching
The New Musical
• MPT: September 1 at 8-10:30pm and September 2 at 12:01am
In Nazi-occupied Poland, a troupe of Jewish actors struggle to keep the dream of freedom alive among the prisoners of the Warsaw Ghetto by performing the epic tale of Masada, the Judean mountain where 2,000 years ago a small band of courageous rebels held 10,000 Roman soldiers at bay. Laughter finds a way to rise above tears as the actors discover that they are faced with the same choices as the rebels of Masada. A recording of the recent London production.
WAKING THE DEAD
• MPT: September 9 at 2pm
A mummified, sexually conjoined couple fall from a concealed office during the renovation of a city bank. The discovery awakens a fraudulent scandal buried in the city of London around the time of Black Wednesday.
ARETHA FRANKLIN PRESENTS: SOUL REWIND
• MPT: September 14 & 18 at 11pm; September 16 at 9:30pm
This comprehensive collection of rare performances by legendary R&B performers of the classic 1960s-70s soul era offers an abundance of long-lost archival material that has been recovered from film vaults across the United States, England, Germany and France.
• "Respect" - Aretha Franklin
• "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles
• "Try a Little Tenderness" - Otis Redding
• "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge
• "In the Midnight Hour" - Wilson Pickett
• "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green
• "Dancing in the Street" - Martha and the Vandellas
• "Uptight" - Archie Bell and the Drells
• "Going to a Go-Go" - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
• "Who's Making Love" - Johnnie Taylor
• "Oh Girl" - The Chi-Lites
• "When Will I See You Again" - The Three Degrees
• "I'll Be Around" - The Spinners
AS TIME GOES BY REUNION SPECIAL
• MPT: September 13 at 1pm
IN SEARCH OF MYTHS AND HEROES
Arthur: the Once and Future King
• MPT September 17 at 4am
In the second segment, Wood explores the greatest British myth: the tale of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Traveling around the Celtic world from Cornwall to Wales, Brittany, Ireland and Scotland, Wood uncovers the extraordinary story of how a shadowy Welsh freedom fighter - a Dark Age Che Guevara - became a medieval superman and, finally, the model of a Christian hero. On the way, viewers discover the real stories behind the Round Table, Excalibur and the Holy Grail itself: the unattainable, mystical cup of Christ, which has inspired poets, novelists and filmmakers from the Middle Ages right down to Indiana Jones, Monty Python and The Da Vinci Code. In an intriguing piece of historical detective work, Wood offers a tantalizing glimpse of a historical Arthur - but in the unlikeliest of places.
Oliver Twist, Parts 1&2 of 2
• MPT2: September 1 and September 8 at 8pm
Dickens' tale of a young orphan sent to the workhouse. William Miller as Oliver, Timothy Spall as Fagin, Adam Arnold as Artful Dodger.
RICK STEVES' EUROPE CLASSICS
Great Side Trips from London
• MPT2 September 27 at 12:30pm
Day-tripping from London, we ponder Shakespeare's birthplace in Stratford, the ultimate medieval castle at Warwick, a walk with Newton through Cambridge, ghost stories, a pub visit-all with the Steves children and other colorful sights.
Cranford, Part 1
• MPT2: September 29 at 8pm
Follow the absurdities and tragedies of the people of a small Cheshire market town.