Join host Mario Armstrong as he explores the maze of questions surrounding financial aid and paying for college. Meet financial aid counselors who explain how to navigate the labyrinth of government aid and paperwork, from public and private grants and scholarships to tax forms and loan applications. Find out how to safely navigate the Internet in search of funds for college and meet students from college campuses across Maryland who have found simple and creative ways to pay for school.
A production of Maryland Public Television for more than 30 years, this television program delivers information tailored to today's parents and students who need a comprehensive, how-to approach to find financial aid.
In the Program
- Organizing income tax records
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)-the first step towards receiving financial aid
- Sources of financial assistance
- Types of aid available-grants, scholarships, loans, work study, etc.
- Important application deadlines
- Websites offering the latest tips on finding funds
- Maryland colleges and universities
- Saving money for college years before your children go
- Financial aid experts who offer information on the types of aid available and advice on finding and securing grants, scholarships and loans.
- Students at several Maryland colleges and universities who share their real-life experiences about the financial aid process, types of aid they are receiving, and how they secured help.
Maryland Colleges and Universities
FOUR-YEAR PUBLIC COLLEGES and UNIVERSITIES
- BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY (www.bowiestate.edu)
- COPPIN STATE UNIVERSITY (www.coppin.edu)
- FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (www.frostburg.edu)
- SALISBURY UNIVERSITY (www.salisbury.edu)
- TOWSON UNIVERSITY (www.towson.edu)
- UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE (www.ubalt.edu)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, BALTIMORE (www.umaryland.edu)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALTIMORE COUNTY (www.umbc.edu)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, COLLEGE PARK (www.umd.edu)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, EASTERN SHORE (www.umes.edu)
- UNIVERSITY SYSTEM OF MARYLAND, HAGERSTOWN (www.hagerstown.usmd.edu)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND CENTER FOR ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE (www.umces.edu)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (www.umuc.edu)
- MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (www.morgan.edu)
- ST. MARY'S COLLEGE OF MARYLAND (www.smcm.edu)
- UNIFORMED SERVICES UNIVERSITY OF THE HEALTH SCIENCES (www.usuhs.mil)
- UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY (www.usna.edu)
- UNIVERSITIES AT SHADY GROVE (www.shadygrove.umd.edu)
- ALLEGANY COLLEGE OF MARYLAND (www.allegany.edu)
- ANNE ARUNDEL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.aacc.edu)
- BALTIMORE CITY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.bccc.edu)
- CARROLL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.carrollcc.edu)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF BALTIMORE COUNTY (www.ccbcmd.edu/)
- CECIL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.cecil.edu)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND (www.csmd.edu)
- CHESAPEAKE COLLEGE (www.chesapeake.edu)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.frederick.edu)
- GARRETT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.garrettcollege.edu)
- HAGERSTOWN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.hagerstowncc.edu)
- HARFORD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.harford.edu)
- HOWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.howardcc.edu)
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (www.mc.cc.md.us)
- PRINCE GEORGE'S COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.pgcc.edu)
- WOR-WIC COMMUNITY COLLEGE (www.worwic.edu)
Four-Year Independent Colleges and Universities
- CAPITOL COLLEGE (www.capitol-college.edu)
- GOUCHER COLLEGE (www.goucher.edu)
- HOOD COLLEGE (www.hood.edu)
- THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (www.jhu.edu)
- THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY PEABODY INSTITUTE (www.peabody.jhu.edu)
- LOYOLA UNIVERSITY MARYLAND (www.loyola.edu)
- MARYLAND INSTITUTE COLLEGE OF ART (www.mica.edu)
- McDANIEL COLLEGE (www.mcdaniel.edu) (formerly Western Maryland College)
- MOUNT SAINT MARY'S UNIVERSITY (www.msmary.edu)
- NER ISRAEL RABBINICAL COLLEGE (www.hebrewcollege.edu/rabbinical)
- NOTRE DAME OF MARYLAND UNIVERSITY (www.ndm.edu)
- ST. JOHN'S COLLEGE (www.stjohnscollege.edu)
- ST. MARY'S SEMINARY AND UNIVERSITY (www.stmarys.edu)
- STEVENSON UNIVERSITY (www.stevenson.edu) (formerly Villa Julie College)
- SOJOURNER-DOUGLASS COLLEGE (www.sdc.edu)
- TAI SOPHIA INSTITUTE (www.tai.edu)
- WASHINGTON ADVENTIST UNIVERSITY (www.wau.edu)
- WASHINGTON BIBLE COLLEGE (www.bible.edu)
- WASHINGTON COLLEGE (www.washcoll.edu)
Two-Year Independent Colleges
- KAPLAN UNIVERSITY (www.kaplan.edu) (formerly Hagerstown Business College )
- THE SCHOOL OF ART + DESIGN AT MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (www.montgomerycollege.edu/schoolofartanddesign)
- SEAFARERS HARRY LUNDEBERG SCHOOL OF SEAMANSHIP (www.seafarers.org)
- TESST COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY (www.tesst.com)
Useful Financial Aid Links
Begin your financial aid search here! FAFSA.gov is a free web site. Beware of web sites that charge fees.
- FAFSA on the Web! (www.fafsa.gov)
- Maryland Higher Education Commission (www.mhec.state.md.us) Official website for information on financial aid from the state of Maryland.
Informational Links: Note: These links are provided for information purposes. MPT is not responsible for the accuracy of their content.
- FinAid! (www.finaid.org)
Learn everything you need to know about the variety of financial aid resources available to students and parents.
- FastWeb (www.fastweb.com)
Free scholarship and college search agent that matches your background against its database of over 600,000 scholarships.
- Embark (www.princetonreview.com)
Tools, scholarship search, and advice to help students and parents master the financial aid process.
- Student Loan Network (www.studentloan.net)
Includes information on, and loan application request forms for the Federal Stafford, Perkins, and Parent PLUS student loan programs.
- U.S. Department of Education - Financial Aid page
Official website for information on financial aid from the federal government.
- Maryland National Guard (www.md.ngb.army.mil)
Provides an alternative form of financial aid.
- The College Board (www.collegeboard.com)
Click on Paying for College!
- Peterson's/Thomson Learning (www.petersons.com)
Features financial aid calculators and search engines for scholarships
- College Savings Plans of Maryland (www.collegesavingsmd.org)
The College Savings Plans of Maryland is an independent State agency with two plans - The Maryland Prepaid College Trust and The Maryland College Investment Plan managed by T. Rowe Price
Support for this program was provided by