The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ordered local broadcasters to change the frequencies of their channels in a phased program beginning in 2019 and running through 2020. This is an FCC mandated change and MPT must comply with the order. Other broadcasters in our area will also be changing their frequencies at the same time.
Who is affected?
Only viewers who use an antenna to watch our free over-the-air broadcasts. These viewers must perform a rescan on their television or converter box in order to continue viewing our channels.
Cable or satellite customers will not be required to do anything. This includes customers of Comcast, Verizon, Dish, Direct TV and others. The providers will make the change for you and your television viewing will continue seamlessly on the same channels you currently use.
How to rescan your televisions
Over-the-air antenna users only will need to:
1. Select Scan or Autotune from your television or converter box control menu to start the scanning process.
2. Your television will automatically find the new broadcast frequency for MPT. This process usually takes a few minutes to complete. Although the broadcast frequency will change, MPT’s channel numbers will not. When the process is complete, you will still find MPT on the same channel number under the new frequency. If you do not rescan, you will see snow on your television set.
Need more assistance? If you have further questions:
1. Call MPT Viewer Services at 1-410-581-4292 or toll-free 1-800-522-8915.
2. For complete rescan instructions, please visit: http://www.tvanswers.org/rescan.asp. You will need to know the manufacturer and model number of your television set or converter box in order to get specific instructions on how to rescan.
3. Call the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) at toll-free 1-888-CALLFCC (1-888-225-5322) and press "6" to speak to a help desk representative.
Schedule for frequency changes
March 3, 2020 at 9am
Owings Mills WMPB 67
May 1, 2020 at 9am
Hagerstown WWPB 31
Annapolis WMPT 22
Frederick WFPT 62
Oakland WGPT 36
Salisbury WCPB 28
How to Rescan Your TV to Get Channels with Antenna
Some local TV stations will be changing their over-the-air broadcast frequencies. If you watch TV with an antenna, you will need to rescan your TV when this happens. This video will show you how to do it and where to get help if you need it.